There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. --- Henry David Thoreau

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do,
there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. -- The House at Pooh Corner



Saturday, July 18, 2009

First Year of Beekeeping (revised)

March 6/2010:

Below are the posts from the first incarnation of my Whole 'Nother Bee Blog. I edited them just a tiny bit to avoid confusion and to eliminate some obvious errors. I have included these excerpts from this first year because I think it might be helpful if you are just starting out to track my progress and fumblings getting started. As of today, both of Ed's Kenyan Top Bar Hives came through the winter well and are out foraging. Karen's 48" TBH had a very small colony captured in late summer after her first colony absconded. This second swarm was apparently not large enough to make it through the winter, despite feeding them. My mentor beek friend now tells me I should have combined that small swarm with Ed's smaller colony.

Start from the bottom and read up.

No comments:

Post a Comment